Sunday 29 July 2018

Andy Sneap's Amon Amarth Deceiver of the Gods drum tracking


Andy tells us how he tracked the Amon Amarth's "Deceiver of the Gods" drums.Stuff he's referring to:
  • Sennheiser MD421: Dynamic microphone
  • Heil Sound PR30: Dynamic Large Diaphragm Microphone
  • B-Band UKKO-T: Drum Preamp
  • Overtone Labs TBS-001 Tune-Bot: Studio Drum Tuner
  • Neumann KM 86: Multipattern condenser microphone 
  • Jens Bogren: Producer (of last album)

"The band really wanted a more natural feel to everything this time. As far as the toms go, its the usual 421's on racks, Heil PL30 on the 18" (because I'd ran out of 421's, but it sounded great so I've just got some more) and I also had some of those ukko transducers inside the toms which are blended quite low, but they add a cool cut to the top (they sound very hollow on their own but are great to trigger from).
The best thing for the toms tho was the tunebot, getting them properly in tune just makes them sit right and cut through, I can't recommend that little device enough.
Its also the first time I tried recording drums at the back end of my live room with the far room mic'ed with an old neumann KM86. I don't know why I hadn't tried this before but I was loving the room mic and I think it helps the vibe, especially on the slower stuff. I think Jen's stuff is great but I think it was really important to try a new approach and not worry too much on how things sounded on previous records."

Andy Sneap, Apr 14, 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment

Colin Richardson's Bu!let for my Valentine guitar settings

Colin Richardson gives the guitar settings for Welch band Bullet for my Valentine's debut album. "Co-produced with Andy Sneap ...